How to Revive your Skin after a Massive Holiday Feast
It's that most wonderful time of the year! But as you're scurrying around checking items off your shopping list or engaging in meal prep, have you taken time to prepare your skin for the feasts ahead?
What you eat has a huge effect on your skin, and all the heavy, fatty foods that you so love about the holidays may wreak havoc on your skin if you don't properly equip your complexion. So read on and learn about the best lines of defense and recovery methods for your skin.
The Low-Down on Skin Balance
Your complexion is protected by a delicate barrier known as the acid mantle, which is slightly acidic to prevent bacteria build-up and allow your skin to keep moisture in. However, if this balance tips too far one way or the other on the alkaline-acidic scale, be prepared for either nasty-oily breakouts, or dry and irritated skin. And wouldn't you know it - food plays a large part in the maintenance of that acid mantle.
Foods that are high in sugar and carbs throw off both your pH and your hormone balance, spelling disaster for your complexion as your skin becomes greasy. And all those foods we've come to associate with the holidays are heavy in carbohydrates and refined sugars. So, rather than renouncing all of the surrounding deliciousness, you need a plan of attack in place to prevent skin irritation and allow you to freely enjoy your holidays.
Pre-Gaming Your Skin
Since you're going to be consuming fatty foods that tend to ramp up the oil on your skin, get on the oil-offensive following these steps:
- Start with a clean slate: Build a good foundation for your skin so it's not overwhelmed by the sudden food-induced changes. Do this by washing with a gentle cleanser. After all, stripping your skin isn't the answer to oil excess - rather, the solution is balance. AHAVA's Refreshing Cleansing Gel is the perfect cleanser for getting rid of excess shine while still helping your complexion maintain a healthy oil structure.
- Moisturize strategically: This step is a crucial one. It may seem counterintuitive to add a moisturizer at this point. After all, aren't we trying to fight oil, rather than encourage it? However, if you neglect hydration, your skin will compensate by allowing oil production to run rampant, leaving your skin looking like that glistening turkey you just pulled from the oven. Prevent this by using AHAVA's Essential Day Moisturizer - Combination Skin. This will nourish your skin while still providing shine control.
- Be selective when filling your plate: Although it's everyone's tendency to all-out binge when the holiday buffet presents itself, select your food wisely. Don't fill your plate entirely with dinner rolls and sweet potato pie; instead, make sure you have healthy portions of proteins and veggies, and go easy on the carbs. Not only will your skin thank you, but you may also avoid that uncomfortable food coma as well!
Skin Recovery 101
Even if you've followed our skin pre-gaming instructions, your complexion may need a little love after the meal. Try one of these recovery methods to help keep the peace in your skin:
- Mask it up: Slough off any yucky bacteria that may have nestled into your skin cells by using AHAVA's Purifying Mud Mask. Slather your skin with a layer of nutrient-rich Dead Sea mud, and your skin will be cleaner than ever while still retaining its hydration.
- Refresh and tone: Cleanse your skin and follow with All In One Toning Cleanser. This will remove impurities and tighten your pores without over-drying. Follow with Essential Day Moisturizer - Normal To Dry Skin.
The holidays should be a joyful time, so don't let food impact your skin and get you down. With these easy tips you can retain and regain your elemental beauty and have the most festive season yet!